ICO Scams

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Laura561

Jan 30, 2018
This is a public service announcement!

The SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) just launched a fake ICO website to educate investors on how to avoid scam ICOs. The site proposes a sale for HoweyCoin, named after the Howey Test used to determine whether certain transactions qualify as securities. Anyone who tries to invest in the sale will be redirected to educational materials pointing out the fraudulent aspects of this “too-good-to-be-true” offer.

Check out the HoweyCoin website to learn common tactics promotors use to scam you out of your dough.

And for more info on how to avoid crypto scams in general, check out our article Common Crypto Scams and How to Avoid Them.

Adriaan Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 30, 2018
www.bitcoinforbeginners.io
Imo it is a helpful initiative from the SEC to spread some awareness and they more or less succeeded in showing a typical example of your average ICO scam site. Hopefully it will lead to at least some beginner ICO investors to start off a little more educated because of this information. I encourage every beginner in cryptocurrency to carefully read the articles that are mentioned in the post.

virtual

May 21, 2018
There are also get rich quick crypto scams which are also getting viral these days because they are using fake news articles. If it is OK I can put up links of some sources. If not then just a smart move to check scam alerts on Google.

staff

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 24, 2018
There are also get rich quick crypto scams which are also getting viral these days because they are using fake news articles. If it is OK I can put up links of some sources. If not then just a smart move to check scam alerts on Google.
Yes please do put up links, it will help the broader crypto community learn what to look out for!

Adriaan Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 30, 2018
Good idea, but please don't attach hyperlinks, just the written domain names and company names! Indeed helpful if you would publish such a list!

virtual

May 21, 2018
Good idea, but please don't attach hyperlinks, just the written domain names and company names! Indeed helpful if you would publish such a list!
OK, so the name of the site which talks about it is binaryscamalerts.com and there are quite a few articles about how this is done. I specifically took interest in the bitcoin trader and loophole scams the article goes into detail: binaryscamalerts.com/bitcoin-trader-scam-fake-news/, but there is more like fake news about Gal Gadot, Richard Branson, Dragons Den cast, Shark tank fake news and Elon Must. Its quite scary I must say.

May 25, 2018
Norway
I really liked it, because it also shows that SEC isn't just a bounch of old people wanting to keep things as they've always been. They actually want the world to evolve further, and they do fancy a good ICO that follows the guidelines. They just want to make us safe. Or keep you safe.

Adriaan Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 30, 2018
I really liked it, because it also shows that SEC isn't just a bounch of old people wanting to keep things as they've always been. They actually want the world to evolve further, and they do fancy a good ICO that follows the guidelines. They just want to make us safe. Or keep you safe.
I do hope they want they want the world to evolve further. So far unfortunately there have been some contradicting actions from US authorities. Hopefully they can get their total act together and not completely shut themselves/their population out of crypto and fall way behind to those countries who do tap into the new developments.

Jun 12, 2018
Hopefully it will lead to at least some beginner ICO investors to start off a little more educated because of this information.